Sunday 20 May 2012

Bittersweet Stracciatella Frozen Yogurt



The past few months here have been filled with rain and barely above freezing temperature but finally now that we're in May we're encountering some beautiful weather. So now that the sun is out and the pool is open, I need some frozen treats!

Despite not having an ice cream maker I thought I would try to make a frozen yogurt recipe anyway since the recipe is fairly simple and because its the long weekend I have all the time in the world! The recipe is originally from http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/low-fat-vanilla-bean-frozen-yogurt.html and I used lots of tips from http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/.


Vanilla Frozen Yogurt:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt -this I couldn't find but I used a "natural" yogurt
2 1/2 cups plain fat free Greek yogurt
1 vanilla bean -I used two tsp of vanilla extract instead
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp honey -this I also didn't have so I used corn syrup and sugar

Directions:
Using a blender, pulse the sugar until slightly powdery.

Whisk all ingredients together until well blended.

Put in the freezer for 45 then stir either with a mixer or by hand. Continue this process every 30 minutes until frozen yogurt has reached the proper consistency.

Melt 2 ounces of bittersweet chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Drizzle over frozen yogurt and place back in the freezer. Remove when chocolate has frozen and stir until the chocolate has broken and is evenly distributed.

I found the frozen yogurt to be realllllllly just like yogurt that was frozen. It still had a really sour taste so I would recommend adding more sugar, vanilla and honey to improve the taste. Because I lack the ability to go back in time I added chocolate syrup to improve taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment